Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Book Review: Nighttown by Timothy Hallinan

Nighttown (Junior Bender, #7)

Los Angeles burglar Junior Bender has a rule about never taking a job that pays too well—in the criminal underworld, if someone is offering you more money than a job is worth, someone is going to end up dead. But he’s bending his rule this one time because he and his girlfriend, Ronnie, are in desperate need of cash so they can hire a top-notch kidnapper to snatch Ronnie’s two-year-old son back from her evil ex. The whole thing is pretty complicated, and has Junior on edge.

The parameters of his too-well-paying job do nothing to calm his nerves. A nameless woman in an orange wig has offered Junior fifty grand—twenty-five up front—to break into the abandoned house of a recently deceased 97-year-old recluse, Daisy Horton, and steal a doll from the woman’s collection. Junior knows no doll is worth $50k, so he figures there must be something hidden inside the doll that can get him in a heap of trouble. It takes Junior less time than he would have hoped to realize he’s not the only person looking for the doll. When an old friend ends up murdered, Junior decides he will stop at nothing to figure out who the woman in the orange wig is, and why she wants the doll so bad she’s leaving a trail of bodies in her wake


Buy on Amazon  


                              MY REVIEW:

Nighttown (Junior Bender, #7)Nighttown by Timothy Hallinan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
This is supposed to be a book about a burglar. I guess to me a burglar would go around and case out places and steal from the wealthy. But this character gets hired by someone to steal something that was in a house of someone who had passed away. Ok but Junior Bender spends more time having coffee and pie and dialogue with everyone he knows that I found this story very slow and boring. I wanted to quit reading at 50% but I said no, let's finish the book. at 88% I REALLY wanted to DNF but I figured I got this far that I might as well figure out. Myabe it's because it is the 7th book of this series and I hadn't read the other books.
I received this from Edelweiss for review.


Timothy Hallinan

Timothy Hallinan



Born
in Los Angeles, The United States
Website

Genre

Influences





I'm a thriller and mystery novelist with 22 published books in three series, all with major imprints. I divides my time between Los Angeles and Southeast Asia, primarily Thailand, where I've lived off and on for more than twenty years. As of now, My primary home is in Santa Monica, California.




View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. Shame that it didn't work out. The blub sounded fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stink this book did not work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kinda sucks that the book wasn't what you thought it would be :( I agree with your review . . . it doesn't sound like this story would work out the way I expected. Great review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that too. Keep reading hoping that the pace will pick up, the plot will improve. Sometimes it does. It's always a gamble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making it through. I would have set it down and moved on to another story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not good when a book doesn't work for you. The synopsis sounds good but I don't think I'd be impressed either. Great review.

    ReplyDelete