Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Secrets We Keep by Kate Hewitt review

The Secrets We KeepThe Secrets We Keep by Kate Hewitt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Tessa arrives at the little house by the lake with her two children Ben and Katherine, it is an escape. For all of them. Never mind that the rental house is a bit small – it’s theirs for the summer. A place to hide…

Their isolation is disrupted when they meet the family from the big house next door. Three children Charlotte, Zoe and Max and their glamorous mother Rebecca – who seems absolutely determined to invite Tessa in to their lives.

But Rebecca is harbouring a dark secret of her own. One that will put not only her family at risk, but Tessa’s too. And when she discovers she has no option but to leave her children for several weeks, Tessa feels like the only person she can trust.

Suddenly Tessa finds herself living a life she could only have dreamed of. Wealth, a large brood of children, and Rebecca’s handsome husband Josh visiting at weekends.

But even as powerful bonds are forming between them, secrets have a way of catching up with people. And as the summer comes to an end, who will learn to love again and who will risk losing everything?

Wow! A very emotional read. First of all both of the women in this book needed each other at this time to deal with whatever their demons are. Rebecca's problems get worse and her husband puts matters into his own hands and Tessa is the one to pick up the pieces. The children all had some kind of emotional baggage because of their moms and they have to deal with that. One frightful evening turns both of their lives upside down. Can they get through this and keep the relationship they formed.
The author kept mentioning the finger lakes but never what lake it was but since I went to school to Geneseo and lived on Conesus Lake during that time then I knew that had to be the lake she was talking about. SO yes Geneseo has a big Walmart and a Bear fountain in the middle of main street. The only things they don't have is a yacht club or a country club that was described. There are only 2 country clubs and they only have golf and restaurants, No pool or tennis so I did have to remember this book was also fiction. Also the mention of Seabreeze amusement park and the Jack Rabbit roller coaster brought back childhood memories. Why they had to go to a spa all the way in Syracuse that was 2 hours away instead of Rochester, which is 30 minutes away didn't make sense either but then again I was thinking of things I would do that was closer.

I received this from NetGalley and Bookouture for an honest review.


View all my reviews

Buy the book on Amazon


8 comments:

  1. Excellent review from someone who knows the area! Excellent rating. But, um, the conclusion, though? I will always remember this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I shall look into this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I will have to check this book out. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds good. I have a love/hate relationship when they are writing about an area I know but not everything makes sense. I know they have to make some things up for the book but still makes me a little crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Kate Hewitt. Need to check this one out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I love that you have knowledge of the area x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I will check this out.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete