Sunday, October 07, 2018

Out of Sesaon by Antonio Manzini review

Out of SeasonOut of Season by Antonio Manzini
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It’s the bitterly cold spring season in alpine Aosta, and a girl has been kidnapped. Chiara Berguet, daughter of the owners of a local construction firm, was targeted thanks to the sizeable debt her parents owe. But like many a best-laid plan, a blown tire causes the crime to go haywire as the kidnappers’ van skids off the road and crashes into a pair of larch trees. Both the driver and his accomplice die on impact, leaving the girl in the back, gagged and bound and unable to break herself free.

Meanwhile Rocco Schiavone wakes to find himself in Anna’s apartment. She’s the best friend of his girlfriend Nora, and memories of the night before, a heated evening with Anna, return to him. As he sneaks out, he sees the first few snowstorm clouds of the spring season move across the sky, an ominous reference that something is off.

If trouble at home and a case of kidnapping weren’t enough, Rocco will eventually have to contend with Enzo Baiocchi. Rocco was the one who sent Enzo to prison, and in the process killed Enzo’s brother. Having just escaped from prison, Enzo is heading north with a newly purchased revolver and, clearly, revenge on his mind. And when an unfortunate incident of mistaken identity makes Enzo’s act of revenge even more fiendish, it also presents a gruesome scene for Rocco to discover on his return home.

This book is set in May in Italy with a ton of Italian name I could not pronounce but I really liked a few of the names. A young woman is kidnapped because of her parent's business. The book goes back and forth between the police investigating and to her and what she is going through. Although I did like the book, I found it boring through the first half. I did enjoy the banter and sarcasm of Rocco and his co workers. This is the 3rd book of the series and I did not read the other 2 books but I didn't feel like I was lost reading it.
I received this as an ARC that I won from the publisher.


View all my reviews

Book can be bought on Amazon



10 comments:

  1. Too bad, it had a promising premise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your next read is a better fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boring first half and yet you stuck with it? Good for you! Sorry you weren't feeling this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are to be commended for finishing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for finishing it. I love books with an Italian connection but this sounds like one to skip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad you didn't enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always end up shortening complicated names in my head when I read a book like this. Too bad this one fell short for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, I am sorry that the first half of this book bored you, but I am glad you liked the book overall. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's terrible when they fall apart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad you didn't enjoy it. But you at least finished it.


    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete